Education: Conducted teacher development training for four days with 30 local teachers including English language training. Conducted a “Dream Workshop” with over 150 children and parents from the community in attendance to discuss and motivate the children to achieve their dreams for professional and educational development.
Health: Treated 75 patients concurrently while training three rural health promoters and eight midwives in the new hospital, held health/sanitation and nutrition workshops for 120 villagers, treated 30 dental patients with cleanings and extractions, conducted specialty training on skin care, neonatal care and physical therapy.
Construction: Constructed stoves and planted 100s of cocoa trees as part of a reforestation effort at the area’s new vocational training center, Sikaab’e.
• Worked side by side with local villagers every day.
• Participated in arrival and farewell celebrations and dancing.
• Enjoyed break day at Semuc Champey National Park tropical jungle pools.
• Enjoyed social and cultural events such as soccer games, artisan market, a cross-cultural talent show, and a day-in-the-life afternoon experience.
• Pre- and Post-Expedition travel options separate from the expedition: Mayan ruins at Tikal, Rio Dulce, colonial Antigua, volcano hiking and lake exploration, Honduras, Mexico, Belize.